Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Morning Serenade


Early yesterday morning I was called to a home in regard to an ex boyfriend. Evidently the woman threw him out several weeks ago, but he keeps returning. Yesterday he broke into her home while she was out. She tells me, "He is infatuated because he's never had a woman as successful as I am." This, of course, prompts me to investigate the secret of her success, so I ask a few questions.

"Where do you work?" I ask.

"I'm kind of in between jobs right now. I haven't had a steady job in a while."

"How long?" I ask.

"Eight months."

"How do you pay the rent?"

"This place is section eight. The rent is adjusted with my income, which right now is only my welfare check."

"I see," I reply. I guess the ex boyfriend's other girlfriends must have all been homeless.

We search the home to make sure he's not hiding in a closet with a meat cleaver, but he's long gone. During the search we can't help but notice a collection of marijuana pipes, a grinder, and a small bag of weed. My partner writes her a ticket for possession of marijuana. She insists the drugs are not hers, but her nineteen year old nephew. She says she makes him keep his marijuana in her room so her ten year old isn't exposed to it. Very unlikely.

While the search takes place I notice a picture on her computer. Her head is wrapped in some sort of "Badu-like" wrap and she appears to be singing into a microphone. "I'm a singer," she says. "I've used my time unemployed to put together a compilation of music." Then she plays a song on her computer and starts singing to me. Very strange! She keeps singing and, in between the verses, tells stories of how the song originated. "Yeah, I saw this dude at the club. It was love at first sight." She sings a couple of bars. "I went right up to him and told him. We were tight for quite a while."

At this point I was too amused to ask her to stop. The entire scene was bizarre. My coworkers, after giving her the ticket and explaining the charges, asked me, "Was that chick singing to you?"

No comments: