Friday, April 4, 2008

Instructor School


I attended the N.C. General Instructor's school for the past two weeks. It consisted of rewriting the same document about one hundred times and giving an eighty minute presentation to the class. The document and presentation are strictly graded by outside reviewers and then you take a state exam. I did my presentation on Grappling and the history of Jiu-Jitsu, a subject I'm quite capable of babbling incoherently about for hours, usually to the chagrin of anyone in close proximity.

The class was headed by an individual I won't name. But lets just say the Instructor's school is instructed by the worst instructor ever. Completely vague with every answer she provided, the entire class was confused. "You can't write on the answer sheets, but fill in the letters on the sheet."

"So we can write on the sheet?" I foolishly asked.

"No, you can't write on the sheets. But fill in the letters on the sheets."

"Okay," I continued. "We can't write on the sheet itself. So do we need to use a separate sheet of paper?"

"Yes," she answered. Then she passed out the answer sheets. When nobody started the test she asked, "Aren't you guys gonna start? Start answering."

Another fool chimed in, "But you told us not to write on the sheets."

"You can mark the answers," she says, staring at the class like we're a bunch of idiots. The entire curriculum turned into a lesson on restraint. I strongly considered bringing an axe in on the last day.

No comments: