Monday, May 5, 2008

More Nonsense

Just another example of how our educational system is failing miserably:

I stop a car that has no brake lights. The driver nervously tells me, "It's his car. We're going to the grocery store to get bandages for his hurt foot."

"Let me see your license," I say.

"I'll give you his. It's his car." The driver looks over to his morbidly obese passenger and extends a hand.

"You're driving, sir. I need to see your license."

"Uh," he stammers. "I don't have it with me, but I know my name."

"You know your name?" I ask. "That's convenient. How about stepping back to my patrol car and we'll run it on my computer."

"Okay," he says, smiling broadly, like we're old friends.

I sit him in the back seat of my car and shut the door. I then pull up the search browser on my computer. "What's the name?" I ask. He gives me something that just doesn't sound right. Stumbles on the spelling of the middle name. He's now sweating profusely.

"How old are you?" I ask.

"Forty four," he replies.

We talk for a few more minutes and I ask about his work, if he's married, anything to distract him from the age question. Then, without warning, I quickly ask, "What's your birth date?"

"Huh?"

"You heard me! What is your birth date?" I can see his eyes go up and to the left, as if he's calculating the answer. "Just tell me, sir."

"Uh, January 27, 1927."

"Really?" I ask. He seems satisfied with his answer.

"Yeah."

"So you're eighty one years old?" The guy is obviously in his thirties. "Man, you look real good for your age."

"Oh, I meant to say January 27, 1964."

"There's a big difference between 1927 and 1964," I say.

"I'm just nervous, man. Sometimes I get nervous."

He stuck to his lies until the bitter end, which came when I arrested him and searched the car. Underneath the driver seat (the most convenient hiding place) I found his wallet. Inside, I was able to identify him by his N.C. Department of Correction identification card. He was also wanted for Probation Violation and several other warrants for arrest. A real genius.

No comments: