Friday, May 9, 2008

Courthouse Buffoonery





Take a look at these two pictures. Which would you consider to be a dangerous weapon?Evidently, the security elites at the Wake County Courthouse are not sure. As a police officer, it is customary for me to wear my .45 caliber pistol when attending court, as the rooms are usually full of no less than two hundred people I either arrested or pissed off. Before entering, everyone has to walk through a metal detector. Now, lets ignore the obvious question: "If you're in uniform and wearing a pistol, what is the purpose of walking through the metal detector?" Don't even ask that one. Common sense doesn't apply here. Just arbitrarily following some written directive regardless of any circumstance.
Even funnier than this policy is that I have to take off my radio and run it through the metal detector so the consummate security professionals, usually involved with other activities such aseating, talking loudly, or cosmetology, can determine if my Motorola is a bomb.
So, let's dissect this. They have no problem with me carrying a .45 caliber firearm with forty rounds of ammunition into the courtroom, but the radio worries them. Interesting...

No comments: