Thursday, March 20, 2008

Saint Patrick's Day Drunk


She's overweight, visibly drunk, and her breath smells like horseradish. Stumbling from the car she tells me, "I haven't been drinking. I don't know why you pulled me over. I was trying to talk on the cell phone, so I guess that's why my driving wasn't too good." Her outfit is comical. White t-shirt with a huge four-leaf clover. Dark green short skirt. Knee-high black stockings and little black tap shoes. For some reason she has black marks all over her legs.

I give her the sobriety tests and she fails miserably. "I'm not blowing in anything. I haven't been drinking so I shouldn't have to blow." I wind up arresting her for driving while impaired.

"This is bullshit. I was talking on the phone. I'm not drunk. I haven't eaten anything in two days."

I'm intrigued by this comments. "Why haven't you eaten? And if you haven't been drinking, what does that have to do with anything?"

"Well," she slurs, "I did have a few drinks. But that was two hours ago. I'm not drunk. You had no reason to pull me over."

"You swerved over the lane divider four times. You were only going thirty five in a forty five mile per hour zone. I had every reason to pull you. What kind of drinks did you have?"

She pauses, a confused look on her face as if she knew better than to tell a cop what she'd been drinking. "I told the bartender to surprise me. He made me three drinks before I left."

I guess he did surprise her. She's only 21 and on her second DWI. Her car was seized by the state. Surprise, surprise!

No comments: